Artist start date: unknown
Info: It may not be such an unusual sight now, with many acts happily straddling the worlds of pop and indie, but when I first met Scarlet Soho, no one else was doing what they were doing. At a time when going to a gig always meant watching three near identical guitar bands, Scarlet Soho shunned that tired idea of what a band should be, got in a van with some synths and a drum machine and played pop music to those same audiences.
• It's hard to describe now the range of responses they received. There was a time when you could guarantee that at least one person in the audience every night would shout, “Where's your drummer?” Like the band hadn't noticed they were a man down. It didn't matter that Scarlet's fuzzed-up bass lines provided sharp grooves to counter those clinical drums, or that James' warm, souring vocals shot over expansive guitars. Or even that the songs these parts went together to make up were always smarter, catchier and simply better than any of the tired sounds their contemporaries were making. Some people just weren't ready for the step forward Scarlet Soho were making.
• But plenty were, and the band built up a solid network of fans around the country, desperate for something different.
• Influenced as much by Faith No More as they are by The Human League and Depeche Mode, Scarlet Soho have always known how to mash genres to create perfect pop. And, like those bands, they stamp their own clear sound and personality on everything they do.
• The band released their debut album, Divisions Of Decency, through UK indie label Human Recordings in 2004, bringing them to the attention of bands including Razorlight, Delays and IAMX, all of whom personally requested for Scarlet Soho to join them on tours. The dates took them around the UK and Europe, with gigs supporting IAMX at a sold out show at London's legendary Scala venue, and headlining the very first MySpace Live event in Berlin.
• In 2008, they signed to Hamburg-based label Major Records, home to IAMX and Ladytron, who released the second Scarlet Soho album, Warpaint, in 2009. A clear progression from their debut, the band were more comfortable and confident in their sound and their songwriting, evident in tracks such as Analogue Dialogue (Kill The Beat) and the epic This Nausea.
• Further time on the road ensued, with their own headline European tour followed by UK dates with 80s legends A Flock Of Seagulls, and a Europe-wide outing with Zoot Woman.
A third album was now on the cards, and two limited edition EPs – When The Lights Go Out and Solo KO – saw the band return to Europe with Kosheen and O Children, plus make their first appearance at WGT Leipzig in 2013.
• In 2015 the band released their last studio album In Cold Blood. Thought of by many as their best work to date, this album included the singles When The Lights Go Out, Solo KO, and Two Steps From Heartache and was produced by the band themselves, with the mixing undertaken by Graham Laybourne and James Yuill.
View the Scarlet Soho:Discography
(3 events / 2 studio albums
/ 0 products)Videography
(0 Music Videos)Compilation AppearancesMemorabilia
- all individual tracks (0 tracks)Trackography
- all non-live versions of tracksTrackography
- all tracks played live
LEGALLY BUY THIS ARTIST'S MUSIC NOW:
LEGALLY STREAM THIS ARTIST'S MUSIC NOW:Please note: Streaming links above are provided with no guarantees - not all artists and not all music is available to stream. Sometimes artists deliberately withold some or all of their music from streaming services. Some streaming services are not free and require a monthly/yearly subscription payment.
CONTACT INFORMATION: Twitter Facebook
ARTIST PERSONNEL:no personnel information currently available
Tools For Artist: Scarlet Soho
- 26/10/2020: Scarlet Soho @scarletsoho to release new compilation album 'Programmed To Perfection - Best Of & Rarities 2020' on 16/11/2020 https://scarletsoho1.bandcamp.com/album/programmed-to-perfection-best-of-rarities-2020
- 22/12/2014: Scarlet Soho @scarletsoho to release new album 'In Cold Blood' on 13/02/2015 via @Cadiz_Music http://youtu.be/AU1HzgGYEyY
- 08/09/2014: Scarlet Soho @scarletsoho to release new 5 track EP 'Two Steps From Heartache' on 19/09/2014. Pre-order now http://scarletsohoshop.bigcartel.com/product/two-steps-from-heartache-ep-new
- 01/09/2014: Scarlet Soho @scarletsoho announce European tour with 8 dates in Czech Republic + 5 in the UK http://www.scarletsoho.com http://pic.twitter.com/pVBpnzVPvr
- 18/08/2014: Scarlet Soho @scarletsoho post video for 'Two Steps From Heartache' http://youtu.be/KV4wCIxuix4
- 03/02/2014: Scarlet Soho @scarletsoho announce four european live dates for March 2014 http://www.scarletsoho.com/dates.htm
- 14/10/2013: Scarlet Soho to release new album 'Hit The Floor - Favorites And Rarities' on 25/10/2013 - http://scarletsohoshop.bigcartel.com/product/scarlet-soho-hit-the-floor-best-of-cd-book-scarlet-soho-a-visual-history
- 01/10/2012: Scarlet Soho announce a new EP 'Solo KO' out on 09/11/2012 via Mirroman - see the video http://youtu.be/fvgPPWIRDP4
- 06/08/2012: Scarlet Soho are to release a new EP 'Solo KO' in the autumn. See their earlier 'When The Lights Go Out' video on YouTube = http://www.youtu.be/knAnHTFs1ZE
Spotted any errors or omissions? Contact
us with the details quoting the above page link and we'll update the database.